Monday, 29 October 2012

48. Meet Craig Kielburger

The next thing I crossed off my list was number forty eight, to meet Craig Kielburger. I have had an undying love for Craig Kielburger ever since I was little, after seeing him on Oprah and hearing about the work he has done with Free the Children. When he was twelve years old in 1995, he created the organization Free the Children to help abolish child slavery and poverty in third world countries. Along with Free the Children he also decided to start We Day, a day where schools from all over join in a stadium to listen to live performers and speakers and help make a movement of children helping children by thinking we rather then me. I went to We Day in Toronto for the past two years, and last year was the first time I'd ever seen Craig in the flesh. It was such a moving moment to hear him speak about his views on the world and how he wanted to make it a better place. He is my greatest inspiration and that is why meeting him was a dream that I put on my list. This dream came true on December 2nd, 2011 when he came to speak at my schools Fight 4 Freedom day. I was hosting the event so not only did I get to meet him afterwards but I also got to stand on the same stage as him for a spilt second as I handed him my microphone and gave him a hug. To this day it is probably one of the most amazing moments of my life and definitely a day that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment